The club was formed in 1948 when men returning from the war wanted to form a team in the town to play in the newly formed Mid Cheshire Amateur League. Without a ground to play on a local farmer offered them part of his land on Manchester Road on the outskirts of the town. Lord Egerton of Tatton, on one of his occasional forays outside the park, saw that football was being played on land which belonged to his estate. The generous farmer Mr. Whittaker was hauled before Lord Egerton at Tatton to explain why he had offered the land without first seeking his permission. After a short telling off the His Lordship agreed that football could be played on the field and then gave Mr. Whittaker some other land to make up for the loss of that field.
Since then Knutsford Football Club has been a mainstay of the Mid Cheshire League along with a few other clubs like Barnton and Linotype, and has never been relegated form the first division. The facilities at Manchester Road include a large flat, well drained pitch, covered standing accommodation, and a clubhouse that is currently undergoing extensive improvements. In addition to the first team playing in the Mid Cheshire League, the club runs an A team which plays in the Altrincham and Disrtrict League and is designed to introduce young players from the High School and Egerton Youth Club into open age football. An associated veteran’s team play on Sundays in the Cheshire Veterans League.