First Team Match Reports

Knutssford FC 5 Greenall Padgate St Oswalds 2

KNUTSFORD recorded their highest score of the season in an incident packed Cheshire League Division One encounter at Manchester Road on Saturday. Meanwhile, Padgate probably lost their quest for the title.

To qualify for Saturday’s cup game 17 year old Matt Harrison made his Knutsford debut and performed admirably. Unfortunately that meant Kieron Clarke lost his 100 percent appearance record. He was the only Knutsford player who had played in every game.

Knutsford had the better of the early stages. But on 17 minutes an ugly challenge from Mike Hickman on the visitors’ centre back, Webster, delayed play for some time. The Padgate man required treatment on a cut mouth and damaged teeth. Hickman was booked and some would say he was.lucky to stay on the pitch.

He almost immediately twisted the knife and scored with a screaming left foot drive that cannoned off the cross-bar beyond goalkeeper Phil Cartwright.

The visitors hit back and showed why they have been in contention for league honours. Harrison made an excellent fingertip save. But on 40 minutes he rashly dashed from his line and conceded a penalty when Rob Hanley went over. Hanley converted the spot kick.

Knutsford introduced Jamie Petrie in attack. But five minutes into
the second half it was the Warrington side that took the lead. Fergus Morris struck a shot from 20 yards into the top corner.

On the hour Will Hurley hooked over from the right and Jerry Coil
pounced to make it 2-2. Referee Mr Wilcox booked several of the visitors for dissent. Padgate were reduced to nine men when Hughes and then Hennesey were sent off.

On 67 minutes Knutsford won a penalty when the onrushing
Cartwright clipped Petrie. There were no claims from anyone in a red
Shirt but Mr Wilcox pointed to the spot and Mark Burton scored.

Knutsford went 4-2 in front when Dave Tasker chipped the ball over the Padgate goalkeeper. He was also involved in Knutsford’s fifth goal. Tasker’s splendid effort was parried by Cartwright, only for skipper Jerry Coil to bury the rebound into the roof of the net.

Knutsford meet Padgate again on Saturday. They travel to Warrington for the quarter-final of the President’s Cup at 2.30pm.

TEAM: Harrison, Doodson, Turner, Hurley, Jackson (Routley 70 Minutes), Maddon (Petrie 45 minutes), Hickman (Bailey 75 minutes), Coll, Burton, Taylor, Tasker. Substitutes not used Sexton, Ferry.